It’s TastyTuesday, and it’s been a while since I have posted a recipe! I am happy to say that it’s been because I have been super busy – but I have missed cooking quite a bit.
Today, it’s warm, humid and rainy in Virginia. Everything is turning green – and everyone is welcoming the beginning of our warm season! Barbecue is generally a staple on the weekends in the south – from picnics to family gatherings and summer holidays, barbecue is front and center as one of the main dishes.
This recipe is pretty easy – it’s just chicken breast that’s been slow-cooked in the crock pot and then shredded – with a homemade sauce (also easy, and it’s a borrowed recipe from CivilizedCaveman.com) and a delicious (and….easy) coleslaw! If you’re eating lower carb meals, you can always go without the bun – or if you’re post workout (or just want the bun) go on ahead an sandwich all of these ingredients between them!
4 boneless, skinless breasts
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 can of diced pineapple (8 ounces for not too sweet, 20 ounce for sweeter)Directions:
- Combine all ingredients above in a sauce pan and place on stove over medium heat stirring frequently
- Once your sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 60 minutes
- Once your sauce has simmered, turn off the heat and pour your sauce into a blender or food processor and run until you get a nice smooth sauce consistency
- Return to the pan to keep warm or place on the food of your choice
- Store in the refrigerator
1/4 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of red cabbage
1/4 grated carrots
1/4 cup of homemade red wine vinaigrette
Dice cabbage to desired size slices, and mix in bowl with carrots and red wine vinaigrette. Eat along side of barbecue or enjoy it on top!